Thursday, February 24, 2005

Quarter for your cart?

Until I moved to Ontario, I had never seen shopping carts that required you to deposit 25 cents before you could use them. If the issue is theft, I guess in small towns, the danger of someone stealing the cart is minimal. If the issue is that people are not returning the carts to the corals, then I guess in small towns, the parking lots are significantly smaller so the employees don't have to walk all over the place to bring the cart back. It only took a little while to get used to the carts. The funny thing was when I went back home, the first two or three times, I started looking for the coin slot in the cart and felt weird when I didn't find it.

I often wish the stores would employ a different mechanism than a coin deposit. It's usually not an issue, but I have been caught quarterless at a store from time to time. Then I find it becomes quite the hassle to get a quarter. A couple other stores have come up with inventive ways to keep their carts under control.

One store I went to had a long metal pole attached vertically to one corner of the cart. This certainly prevents the cart from leaving the store, which in turn prevents both theft and excessive employee effort. It also prevents me from wheeling out anything heavy from the store to my car. Another store had a cart that had a mechanism inside that locked the wheels of the cart when it reached a certain distance from the store. Good idea, if you park close enough. Otherwise, you might as well have a pole sticking out of it instead.

It's kind of nice to be just finishing with your cart when someone who is heading towards the store offers you a quarter to take your cart. Usually, it doesn't end up that way. However, I have been in a couple amuzing situations. Once, as a returned my cart, a guy offered my a loonie for my cart because he did not have a quarter and could not be bothered to go get one. Another time, as I finished loading groceries into my car, I noticed that someone had left their cart close to my car, but not near the coral. I noticed another cart that didn't have a quarter in it (possibly a display cart or something) was left nearby as well. So I took my cart and the two carts I saw and got 50 cents out of the deal as opposed to just my original 25 cents. Hardly impressive, but you know what they say about small things. :)

7 Comments:

At 3:15 PM, Blogger jaryee said...

good way to earn money!
BTW, about the whole thing of not many people stealing carts in small cities.. have you been around UNB?? :P

BTW, airports also have this, except that you can use credit cards to get a card, and it's more expensive. They don't credit it back to your card when you return it, but that was a good thing when we arrived back in Canada with no cash! hahaha

 
At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always view shopping as an exercise, whether its shopping with my girl friend (Marathon, or long distance speed walking), or shopping for groceries(Weight Lifting, and sometimes wrestling for in demand items). Since I can't get any enjoyment out of them, I might as well trim these love handles.

 
At 9:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm... Ever watch Trailer Park Boys? Bubbles used to make his living off of stolen carts. Swiped them from 1 minimall, sold em to another for $15 a pop, and then stole them back again for the next mall, and so on.

BTW Hey Keith! I didnt know you had a blog. Spiffy!

 
At 10:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Keith, your blog is excellent. As I was surfing around today looking for detailed info on I somehow ended up on your page. As your Quarter for your cart? is not exactly related to my search, I am certainly glad I stopped by. Oh well, back to surfing and I am sure I will find what I am looking for, and should you ever need information about , then stop by for a look. Thanks for the post.

 
At 11:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Keith...Wow! While I was searching for info on ionic breeze I somehow found your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by for a read. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for ionic breeze. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about ionic breeze.

 
At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Keith, a real useful blog. Can you believe it? When blog surfing for detailed info on as seen on tv items I ended up on your page. Obviously your site is not exactly what I was searching for, but your site caught my interest. Just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for as seen on tv items. Should the need ever arise where you need information on as seen on tv items then drop by for a look.

 
At 8:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Keith, I was out blog surfing looking for some info on as seen on tv items when I ended up on your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but your topic caught my eye. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for as seen on tv items. I am going to
bookmark your site for future reference and reading. Should you ever need it, you can get specific information about as seen on tv items at the site above.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home